What is a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP)?
A Business Owner’s Policy (BOP) is a convenient package of insurance that protects your business against the common risks it faces every day. The BOP product includes various coverages that may suit the unique requirements of your small business.
BOPs are ideally suited to small and medium sized businesses due the range of different coverages that can be included and the convenience to the business owner of the single package.
Insurance included in a BOP can vary but usually they include protection for typical small business risks such as property damage, business interruption and liability. The real strength of a BOP is the flexibility and customization which makes them great for a wide range of businesses, industries and requirements.
With a BOP, you’ll have insurance for:
Protect your business from lawsuits and injuries from outside parties. This can help protect your business by paying defence costs and any damages up to your chosen policy limit.
Also known as business interruption insurance, this coverage can protect your business against a disruption in income if you have to shut down unexpectedly.
This cover can assist you in the event of a breakdown of any equipment that’s vital to running your business.
You can also add coverage for:
- Non-owned and hired auto
- Property of others that in your custody
- Business Property Floater – Equipment that you transport
When it comes to protecting your small business, purchasing a BOP helps you skip the usual time spent searching and comparing different insurance products. It’s an easy way to get the security you need in one easy package.
What is typically not insured?
There are some insurance products that aren’t included in BOPs. These include:
Do You need a BOP?
BOPs are ideal if you’re a small business owner or independent professional. In many cases BOPs are required for you to enter into contracts with some customers, landlords or other outside parties.
Here are some questions to ask yourself if you are considering a BOP for your business.
Do you, your business or your employees:
- Need General Liability insurance?
- Own or lease business equipment?
- Have inventory?
- Own a building at which you work and need to insure the property?
Is a BOP right for your business?
BOPs can be a great match for a wide range of professions and business types. This can include home-based business, start-up operators and consultants from a variety of industries. A BOP could be the right option for your business if:
- You have fewer than 100 employees
- If your business earns $2 million or less in revenue
- All business occurs on-premise
- Has an office that’s no larger than six stories of 100,000 square feet
- Requires less than 12 months of business interruption insurance
- Operate in a low-risk industry
Want to know more? Take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions
BOP Claims Examples
Having a BOP can help you and your business in a range of claims scenarios including:
- Accidents and injuries – A customer slips and falls on your premises and files damages against you for medical treatment. Having General Liability insurance as part of your BOP can assist in paying your legal and medical costs to the affected customer without leaving you out of pocket.
- Unforeseen events – An accidental fire at your business premises causes significant damage to the workplace and requires extensive repairs. You’re unable to reopen until the restoration works are complete which poses a major threat to your livelihood. Having insurance for Business Income can assist you maintain your income while your business is out of operation.
- Loss of equipment -The coffee machine at your café breaks down which significantly eliminates your ability to serve your main product. Making a claim for Equipment Breakdown insurance through your BOP would give you the support to repair or replace your machine quickly and get back to business.
Want to buy a BOP?
First off, be sure to assess your business to ensure you fit the requirements for purchasing a BOP. Eligibility requirements will differ depending on the needs of your business including its size, revenue, type of business and industry.
If your business earns $2 million or less in revenue, BizInsure can assist you with purchasing a BOP for as little as $42 per month. Getting a quote with BizInsure is easy. Click below for an instant quote or call us on 1-877-900-9998 to chat to one of our licensed professionals.