Professional Liability Insurance (aka E&O insurance) for Engineers
Also known as Errors and Omissions insurance (E&O), Professional Liability insurance is designed to protect engineers in the event of causing a professional mistake which results in causing injury to someone or damage to their property.
If you were to have a lawsuit filed against you or your business, Professional Liability insurance is there to provide financial protection even if you have done nothing wrong. Depending on your level of coverage, Engineers Professional Liability insurance can cover your legal expenses when defending your claim.
It may also pay for losses of income while you spend time on your defence and can pay settlements which may also be awarded to the claimant.
A&E insurance policy provides the following standard coverages:
- Architects and Engineers Professional Liability
- Architects, Engineers and Contractors Pollution Liability
- Technology Based Services
- Technology Products
- Computer Network Security and Privacy Liability
- Multimedia and Advertising
In addition to standard coverages, engineers often need the following coverage features:
- Technology risk coverage for:
- electronic transfer of data
- copyright infringement
- web-hosting functions
- privacy liability
- ADA/FHA/OSHA regulatory actions reimbursement extension
- Defendants’ reimbursement extension
- Disciplinary proceedings reimbursement extension
- Reputation management reimbursement extension
- Broad definition of insured – includes insured’s participation in joint ventures
- Automatic 60-day coverage for acquired entities
- Blanket waiver of subrogation provision for clients of the insured as required by contract
- Punitive damages extension – where insurable by law
- Mediation deductible credit
Did you know?
Some of your clients may require that you and your subcontractors carry professional liability insurance.
Engineer liability insurance covers a broad range for professions
|Civil Engineer inclusive of Traffic/Transportation/Hydrology||Forensic Engineer inclusive of Expert Witness Services|
|Electrical Engineering inclusive of Lighting/Illumination/ Telecom/Communications||Mechanical Engineering inclusive of Plumbing design|
Why do engineers need it?
The profession of an engineer is held in high regard, you’re an expert when it comes to bridging the gap between technology, science and society. You create change with your designs and implementations, something which your clients entrust will you deliver without fail. But with innovative projects comes a level of risk, as new processes are tested for the first time, there is always the possibility for something to go wrong.
When mistakes happen, they can have a devastating impact on your finances and your reputation. Professional Liability insurance is there to provide protection from the risks you face as an engineering professional.