When it comes to protecting their business, many small business owners choose a General Liability policy to address common risks. This basic type of coverage is essential for many industries and occupations, and in some cases, it may be a mandatory part of doing business.
Before you obtain General Liability insurance, you may want to keep some tips in mind to help you choose a policy that works well for your business.
What is General Liability insurance?
General Liability insurance protects businesses against the risk of customer injury and property damage. In these instances, a policy will cover your legal expenses as well as your cost to fix the situation up to the limits of liability.
You may hear General Liability insurance referred to as Commercial General Liability (CGL) or by the less formal “slip and fall” coverage. These policies are a basic coverage across all industries, and many small business owners take out a policy to help protect their business.
Is General Liability required by law?
Most businesses are not required by law to have General Liability insurance. However, you may need to have a policy for other reasons:
- Licensing – A General Liability policy may be a requirement to obtain and maintain a professional or trade license.
- Commercial leases – Your landlord may ask for proof of insurance before leasing you an office, warehouse, or other workspaces.
- Business contracts – Clients you contract or subcontract with may require you to have General Liability insurance to work for them.
Even if a policy is not required to do business, you may still want to consider having General Liability insurance. Without coverage, you could be responsible for legal fees, compensation, and other expenses related to liability claims and lawsuits brought against you. This can quickly become expensive, potentially draining your bank accounts and putting you out of business.
How to get General Liability insurance
Wondering how to get liability insurance for your small business? Here’s a short step-by-step guide to help you obtain General Liability, along with other types of insurance you may want.
1. Gather info about your business
Before you get General Liability quotes, it may help to gather some basic info about your business in one place. These are details you will likely be asked as they may impact the price you’ll pay for a policy. Some information you may need to provide includes:
- The number of employees working at your business
- Estimated revenue for the upcoming year
- The services your business provides
- Where your business is located
- Details about your business premises
- Basic contact details
- Documentation showing how long you’ve owned the business
2. Consider other coverages you may need
General Liability may not be the only insurance you consider for your business. Depending on the services you provide, how your business is structured, and other factors, you might consider coverages such as:
- Professional Liability – Otherwise known as E&O insurance, this policy protects your business against claims of negligence, misrepresentation or mistake, as well as document or paperwork errors.
- Business Owner’s Policy – Shortened to BOP, this is a combination of policies, combining covers such as General Liability insurance and business personal property coverage, to help protect small businesses from costly interruptions to service.
- Workers’ Compensation – Also known as Workers’ Comp or Workman’s Comp, this policy protects you against medical expenses and lawsuits that can arise from employee workplace injuries and illnesses.
It may make sense to get quotes for all insurance policies you want at the same time you get your General Liability quote.
In the case of a BOP, you can combine your General Liability coverage with other forms of protection that are appropriate for your business in an affordable package. Buying multiple policies at the same time may also make renewals easier because you’ll only need to remember a single renewal date or month.
3. Compare quotes with BizInsure
Once you’ve gathered information about your business and decided what policies you’re looking for, it’s time to get General Liability quotes through BizInsure. Their platform makes it easy to find and compare policies from top-rated insurers.
When you’re comparing General Liability quotes, there are some things you may want to keep in mind:
- Coverage amounts – You may need a minimum level of coverage for your business and will want to choose a policy that meets those criteria.
- Exclusions – Certain activities might not be included in some policies. Carefully review the policy wording to ensure your business will have suitable coverage.
- Insurer’s claims rating – Customer service is crucial if you ever need to make a claim. You might want to consider insurer reviews when choosing a policy.
4. Buy your policies & get covered instantly
You’ve compared quotes and picked the right policies for your business—it’s time to buy! BizInsure has simplified insurance, so you can get instant coverage in just minutes.
Once you’ve selected a General Liability policy and any other coverage you choose, simply click to buy your policies. You’ll be covered instantly and receive your certificate of insurance directly to your email. You can log in to the BizInsure site to update your policies at any time and renew them in the future.
How much does General Liability cost?
Like any insurance, the amount you pay for General Liability insurance will depend on several factors. Insurers consider different information about your business to determine the risk of covering you and how much you’ll pay for your policy.
Your General Liability premiums may depend on factors such as:
- The services you or your business provides
- How many employees you have
- Where your business is located and the size of your premises
- Your annual turnover
- The amount of coverage you choose
Recommended reading: How much does Professional Liability insurance cost?
Protecting your small business
General Liability can be an essential part of protecting your small business from everyday risks. With BizInsure, this is simple. You can easily click, compare and buy insurance coverage in as little as 10 minutes and get back to running your business.
Get General Liability quotes online now with BizInsure!
The number of quotes provided varies between products, occupations and other underwriting factors determined by the insurers.
© Copyright 2022 BizInsure LLC, 2015 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED BizInsure LLC; CA DBA: Simple, Smart, BizInsure Insurance Agency LLC; NY DBA: BizInsure Services LLC; NH DBA: Simple, Smart, BizInsure Insurance Agency; PA DBA: BizInsure Services LLC. 2950 Buskirk Ave Suite 300, Walnut Creek CA 94597. License #0H81929