Do Teachers and Education Professionals need Professional Liability Insurance?

Feb 25, 2022 · 5 minutes to read

Working in the field of education is challenging yet rewarding. Shaping the minds of tomorrow is an important task, one that you no doubt take very seriously. However, the responsibilities of working in and overseeing educational facilities are becoming more complex. Teachers, administrators, and other education professionals face several occupational exposures that could leave them open to potential claims and lawsuits.

A teacher teaches students in a classroom

Business insurance is one way to help protect yourself at work. Policies like educators’ Professional Liability insurance or General Liability insurance provide coverage against common complaints filed against teachers and other education professionals, including those of negligence and student injury.

Educators face unique on-the-job risks

As an education professional, you may face many unique risks in the course of your work. You work closely with students and their families, offering instruction and sometimes advice. Their wellbeing is your responsibility while they are under your supervision. In some instances, you may also have a considerable influence on their academic future or career choices.

When you work so closely with others it opens you up to potential claims and negligence. Business insurance can help education professionals prepare for this possibility. Coverages available to teachers and educators can help you address common risks, such as:

  • Allegations of negligence
  • Misrepresentation or incorrect interpretation of advice or instruction
  • Failure to educate
  • Accidentally causing student injury
  • Damaging a student or other third-party’s property

Who considers insurance for education professionals?

Education professionals is a wide umbrella of different professions that work with both children and adults. This includes:

  • Teachers
  • Administrators (such as principals and superintendents)
  • Guidance counsellors
  • Coaches
  • Tutors
  • Specialty instructors (such as driving instructors or music teachers)

What types of insurance do Education Professionals need?

Education professionals often consider Educators’ Professional Liability insurance and General Liability insurance to protect themselves at work.

1. Professional Liability insurance

Professional Liability insurance for teachers and education professionals protects you against lawsuits and claims of negligence, mistake, and misrepresentation. You might also see these policies sold as Errors and Omissions (E&O) insurance. This type of coverage extends to both actual and alleged wrongdoing.Lawsuits can be financially devastating for educators. The longer legal action drags out, the more likely it is that you could exhaust your bank account and other assets. Professional Liability insurance can help shield your personal finances by covering the costs of:

  • Hiring an attorney
  • Miscellaneous court costs
  • Settlements and judgements ordered by the court

Instead of paying these expenses from your own pocket, your Professional Liability policy would cover them for you. This may be especially important for educators running their own businesses, such as consultants and tutors. Professional Liability insurance for educators in private practice can help you shield your business and personal finances from costly lawsuits.

2. General Liability insurance

A General Liability policy protects you against third party claims and lawsuits of injury or property damage. These policies are sometimes referred to as Commercial General Liability or ‘slip and fall’ coverage.

General Liability insurance may be most useful for independent educators who own and operate their own business, such as tutors or education consultants. These types of education professionals often have offices where they meet with students, families, and other educators. If a client were to injure themselves in your office, you could be liable. Your General Liability policy could help cover compensation to the claimant, so you are not left out of pocket for this expense.

Most commercial landlords will require you to show proof of General Liability insurance to lease space from them.

My employer has insurance. Do I need my own policies?

Tutors, consultants, and other education professionals may work as employees of an educational business or institution. These entities will typically have their own Professional Liability and General Liability policies that extend to you as their employee.

However, your employer’s insurance may not be enough to fully protect you. These policies are designed to cover your employer’s interests, which may not be the same as your own. Having your own policies could help you more fully protect yourself while on the job.

Find Insurance for Education Professionals

Teaching and advising students is one of the most important jobs there is. You are personally responsible for educating others—whether they are children, teens, or adults. The influence you have can make a measurable impact on their future, as well as their day-to-day lives. Insurance for educational professionals helps protect you should a student or their family allege that you did not live up to the standards of your profession.

BizInsure understands the insurance needs of teachers, administrators, and other education professionals. We make it easy for you to quickly compare policies from top-rated insurance providers online, while offering competitive premiums and licensed customer support when you need it.

Compare Educators’ Professional Liability insurance and General Liability insurance today. You could be covered in less than 10 minutes!

Get Free Online Quotes and get coverage instantly

The coverage you need for your business.

Business insurance is divided into different policies. We offer 4 types so it's easy to design the coverage that fits your business.

Professional Liability Insurance

Get a quote

General Liability Insurance

Get a quote

Business Owner’s Policy (BOP)

Get a quote

Workers Compensation Insurance

Get a quote

Let's find

The coverage you need for your business

Professional Liability Insurance

Get a quote

General Liability Insurance

Get a quote

Business Owner’s Policy (BOP)

Get a quote

Workers Compensation Insurance

Get a quote

21st Century QHC agency for Home care insurance company.
Tie J.
Andrea Mcgee was great to work with
Audra M.
Customer representative extremely professional and courteous!
DJ Jeff B
I wanted to add another letter to one word on my street, and the website allows me to do that, and it took less than 5 minutes for them to approve the amendment. How wonderful, I love their service very much.
Ema F.
Representative was very kind, helpful, and educated me well. I appreciated today's experience.
Tina P.
Thanks for the overall service. The rates were great, and they were able to cover the services that was needed. Please call BIZinsure for your commercial needs.
Cheequanda M.
Responsive and easy
Crime R.
I have used BizInsure for 2 years and they make the renewal process quick and easy.
hospicecare 4.
Excellent business and great people! They have out done our prior insurance of 23 years! Keep up the good work!
James F
Very satisfied with the application process, Andrea was very helpful and friendly. Great service ! Thank you !
Don C.
No waiting !!!
Renee G.
Very good company to do business with.
Jeff M.
Teven Lous was wonderful to work with. Thank you
Valerie K.

Popular Searches

Google Rating
Based on 121 reviews