The Show Me State is home to thousands of skilled contractors, and it might be time to add your name to that list!
If you’re considering getting a Missouri general contractor license, look no further. This quick guide covers Missouri contractor’s license requirements so you can make your mark on the state’s building and construction industry.
Is a general contractor license required in Missouri?
Unlike many other states, there is no statewide general contractor license in Missouri.
However, that doesn’t mean you won’t ever need a license. Many cities have laws that require you to be licensed to work as a general contractor. You may be fined for each day you work without a license and could face jail time.
A general contractor license can also help you grow your business. Many people prefer to work with licensed contractors, even for small jobs. Having a license gives you an edge over other tradespeople who do not have one. So even if one is not required in your area, you might consider applying all the same!
How to become a licensed contractor in Missouri
Because individual cities are responsible for issuing general contractor licenses in Missouri, the process for applying varies from one place to another. Typical contractor’s license requirements include:
- Provide proof of your trade education, skills, or experience. Alternatively, you may be asked to provide the name of a trade-licensed supervisor who will be overseeing your work.
- Show proof of insurance. General Liability insurance, Workers’ Compensation insurance, or both may be necessary to get your license.
- Pay a licensing fee. This may be a flat fee based on the type of license you’re applying for or determined by your annual gross income.
Check with your city or county government to understand if a general contractor license is required in your area and the steps you must take to get one.
Contractor insurance in Missouri
As we’ve already mentioned, some cities require proof of business insurance to get a general contractor license. Typically, you will need to maintain a minimum level of coverage to get licensed.
Insurance requirements for Missouri contractors usually mandate the following:
- General Liability – This insurance can protect your business against bodily injury or property damage lawsuits from outside parties. Clients and commercial landlords may also ask for proof of your General Liability insurance before working with you.
- Workers’ Compensation – This insurance provides protection for employers if an employee suffers a work-related illness or injury.A Workers’ Compensation policy is required for most Missouri businesses with one or more employees, regardless of whether proof of insurance is necessary to get your general contractor’s license.
You may also consider other types of insurance to protect your business and personal finances. For example, a Business Owner’s Policy can be customized to include required General Liability coverage, as well as coverage for your tools of the trade and unplanned interruptions to your business.
Cover your contracting business today!
Looking for contractor insurance for Missouri businesses? BizInsure has you covered, whether you’re meeting Missouri contractor’s license requirements or just want to protect the business you’re building.
Compare policies from top-rated insurers online and choose the policies that meet your needs. You’ll be covered instantly and receive proof of insurance in your inbox. No hassles, just peace of mind for your business!
Start comparing contractor insurance quotes today and save.
**This information is a general guide only and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Always check with your local licensing board when getting or renewing your electrician’s license to ensure you are meeting their current licensing requirements.
© Copyright 2022 BizInsure LLC, 2015 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED BizInsure LLC; CA DBA: Simple, Smart, BizInsure Insurance Agency LLC; NY DBA: BizInsure Services LLC; NH DBA: Simple, Smart, BizInsure Insurance Agency; PA DBA: BizInsure Services LLC. 2950 Buskirk Ave Suite 300, Walnut Creek CA 94597. License #0H81929