Professional Liability Insurance
- Compare prices in minutes, with no obligation to purchase
- Purchase online to instantly receive your coverage confirmation
- Access only top-quality insurance companies (A-rated or better)
According to the U.S. Small Business Administration’s Office of Advocacy (SBA), there are 273,623 small businesses in Iowa which make up 99.3% of the total number of Iowa’s companies. These small businesses contributed nearly 104,018 new jobs to the state’s economy. They are therefore a key driver of Iowa’s economic growth.
The top five industries in Iowa are:
- Health Care and Social Assistance
- Accommodation and Food Services
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services
Many small businesses are finding that they may need security measures to safeguard their growing business. Businesses can protect their work by securing Professional Liability insurance in The Hawkeye State.
What is Professional Liability insurance?
Customers are becoming harder to please due to increasing competition in the market for products and services.
No matter how meticulous you are in completing your work on time, mistakes can quickly escalate into a dispute which could result in an action.
You may be risking liability each time you offer advice or accept work from clients. Professional Liability insurance can help.
A Professional Liability insurance policy (also known as Errors and Omissions or E&O insurance) is an essential policy that protects you and your company in case of a lawsuit due to alleged professional wrongdoing.
What does Professional Liability insurance cover?
Even if a case appears unfounded, legal fees and court costs can still amount to thousands of Dollars. This financial burden could affect entrepreneurs with small businesses. Even worse the possibility of business closures or bankruptcy can result from liability claims.
Depending on the type of coverage you choose and the amount you agree to in your insurance contract, Professional Liability insurance will save you from:
- Legal Fees – Hiring competent legal representation is expensive. In fact, most lawyers charge an hourly basis.
- Court expenses – Including filing documentation in the courthouse, underwriting fees, administrative costs, and any other costs.
- Settlements If your client is willing to settle outside of court, you may be able to avoid a lengthy litigation process, but you will nevertheless have to pay a fee based on the advice of your attorney.
- Judgments You may need to pay the amount of the court in the event of a trial.
Importantly, Professional Liability insurance in Iowa will cover your losses, even if they are not your responsibility. Baseless claims are often just as expensive to settle than those with merit. A Professional Liability insurance policy can help you defend your business and professional reputation by paying the above, so you are not completely out of pocket for these costs.
What isn’t covered?
Professional Liability insurance can protect companies from many risks. However, it is crucial to realize that this insurance doesn’t cover everything. You may need to look for other types of coverage for events, such as:
- Damage to your commercial and residential premises
- Damage to third party property
- Employee work-related injury or illness
- Injuries to a third party
- Business interruptions
BizInsure provides other forms of insurance that could help shield your business against these and other common risks faced by small businesses. Iowa small-scale business owners might want to consider General Liability insurance, Workers’ Compensation insurance, or a Business Owner’s Policy to safeguard themselves from a wide range of possible exposures.
Who might need Professional Liability insurance in Iowa?
Insurance covering Professional Liability applies to businesses and individuals who provide professional services.
Iowa Professional Liability insurance may be required for the following occupations:
|Home Care Providers and Businesses||Yoga Instructors|
Professional Liability policy can be beneficial to a variety of occupations and professions. You may want to think about a policy that protects yourself and your business if your business is involved in providing advice or services to other people, representing their interests or performing other tasks which could result in liability claims.
Iowa requirements for Professional Liability insurance
Some professional associations require that their members carry a minimum Professional Liability coverage to be licensed and work in their area. Find more details on Professional Liability insurance requirements at any professional association that you are a member of.
Clients might also require that you have Professional Liability Insurance to collaborate with them. This insurance will usually be included in a business contract. There is a chance that you may need to produce evidence of insurance prior to you sign the contract, or begin working on the project.
It may still be wise to have a Professional Liability policy, even in the absence of a requirement to carry one. If you don’t have one, you may be required to pay for claims against your business. It could be financially disastrous for your personal savings as well as your business.
What is the cost of Professional Liability insurance in Iowa?
Every Professional Liability policy is unique because they are customized to meet the needs of small businesses. Iowa small businesses spend an average of $722 annually for Professional Liability insurance.
The amount that you pay each month to purchase Professional Liability insurance (commonly referred to as the “premium”) is determined by insurance companies based on various variables. These are some of the factors that will affect the cost of Professional Liability insurance costs.
- The nature of your business and the level of risk you’re taking Like any other kind of insurance, greater risk will mean more expensive premiums.
- The size of your business and its turnover. More complex projects and greater volume of work increase your risk exposure.
- The people covered are a person’s capability or suitability for their duties. Additionally, any previous claims against that person.
- Your industry
- Your claims history in the past
- The required insurance coverage
Specialists in your field will require specialized coverage to address specific needs. Professional Liability insurance can offer the crucial security you require.
What is difference between Professional Liability and Errors and Omissions insurance?
Errors and Omissions insurance is the same as Professional Liability insurance. It can protect business against claims for misrepresentation or mistake. It can cover the costs of defense as well any damages or settlements that result from a complaint.
Recommended reading: Errors and Omissions vs. Professional Liability insurance
How to get Professional Liability for my Iowa business?
It’s easy to compare Professional Liability insurance among the most rated U.S. insurance companies and obtain the most suitable insurance coverage at a reasonable price.