Professional Liability Insurance
in South Dakota
- Compare prices in minutes, with no obligation to purchase
- Purchase online to instantly receive your coverage confirmation
- Access only top-quality insurance companies (A-rated or better)
According to the U.S. Small Business Administration Office of Advocacy 2022, South Dakota is home to more than 90,247 small businesses. South Dakota’s economy is driven by small-scale businesses, which make up 99 percent of companies in the state. They also added over 32,363 new jobs.
Five of the top industries in The Mount Rushmore State that are a good fit for small businesses include:
- Accommodation and Food Services
- Health and Social Assistance
- Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
Regardless of the industry you work in, you may want to protect your small company from risks that are common to many businesses. Professional Liability insurance is a method to achieve this. This insurance policy protects your company from claims that could cause a major loss to your business.
What is Professional Liability insurance?
South Dakota’s Professional Liability insurance is an excellent alternative for small businesses who offer professional services to customers or assist them.
Professional Liability insurance can protect professional service providers from potentially devastating financial damages resulting from alleged negligence or error in the delivery of your services. The insurance shields you and your business from accusations of negligence, mishap, or misrepresentation. The most common claim is that your products, services or employees you provide to your customers have caused financial damage to your customers.
Imagine, for instance that you gave an efficient service to a client that wasn’t appropriate for the client. They have suffered financial and personal injuries as a result of your offer and, as a result they file a lawsuit against your business. In such a situation, a Professional Liability insurance policy could help pay for the costs for defending your business.
What does Professional Liability insurance cover in South Dakota?
Professional Liability insurance in South Dakota safeguards you from the following claims:
- Error or mistake
- Deadlines missed
- Services that are not delivered
- Breach of contract
Your Professional Liability policy will cover costs associated with defending your business if there is a claim made against you. The policy will cover lawyers’ fees, underwriting and documentation fees, administrative costs, settlements and judgments.
Importantly crucially, Professional Liability insurance in South Dakota will protect you from all kinds of losses, both real and alleged that result from your work. Even if a lawsuit is ineffective, it can nevertheless be expensive. A Professional Liability policy protects the financial health of your business by covering legal costs. The company would be responsible for the costs without a policy. This could lead to bankruptcy or a business’s failure. If the worst happens it could be necessary to dip into your savings account to pay the legal costs.
What is not covered?
Many small businesses get Professional Liability insurance. But, it cannot guarantee you protection against every risk your business could face. Different types of insurance coverage may be required to safeguard your business.
Small-sized business owners in South Dakota might want to think about these and other forms of insurance plans to satisfy their requirements for insurance:
- General Liability – Also referred to as Commercial General Liability (CGL) or “slip and fall coverage” This insurance will protect your business against physical injury or property damage lawsuits from third party.
- Business Owner’s Policy – A Business Owner’s Policy (BOP), is an insurance product that blends General Liability and Business Personal Property insurance to safeguard small businesses from costly interruptions in service.
- Workers’ Compensation – The Workers’ Compensation insurance defends against lawsuits as well as medical expenses that could arise due to workplace injuries and illnesses. The insurance may pay for the loss of wages in case an employee gets injured while at work.
Who needs Professional Liability insurance?
Many types of professionals and businesses may benefit from the benefits of having Professional Liability insurance in South Dakota. It is a good idea for businesses that provide guidance or provide educated suggestions using specific information or expertise, develop solutions, or meet the requirements of other individuals on behalf of.
Professional Liability insurance is a way to protect your reputation as a professional, its profitability and assets for your business from the expense of lawsuits (whether justified or not).
Professions that may consider Professional Liability insurance include:
|Home Care Providers and Businesses||Yoga Instructors|
It is evident that the types of professions who typically purchase Professional Liability insurance differ. If you are unsure if this kind of insurance is right for you and your company, it may help to think about the requirements of your work.
If you or your business engages in one of the following activities, it is important to consider Professional Liability insurance.
- Provide regular advice or suggestions to your customers.
- Create products or solutions that are exclusive to customers and clients
- Represent the interest of the client on their behalf
- Other professional services are also available to customers and clients
- Employ people who commit one of the things listed above.
Do businesses need Professional Liability insurance in South Dakota?
Professional associations often require members to carry Professional Liability insurance. Ensuring minimum levels of insurance can be an essential step to renewing or obtaining a professional certificate or a position in the industry. The website of your professional association should include information on their insurance requirements or requirements.
Clients might also demand that you have Professional Liability insurance prior to when they can work with you. This requirement could be incorporated in contracts for business, and you may be asked to prove your insurance before beginning work for the client.
It could be an excellent idea to buy Professional Liability insurance, even though it’s not required. Customers could expect that the companies or consultants they choose to hire to carry insurance. The policy demonstrates your professionalism and shows clients you are committed to your brand’s reputation and are ready to defend it, if required.
How much does Professional Liability insurance cost in South Dakota?
The cost of Professional Liability insurance could vary. The average cost for Professional Liability coverage in South Dakota is $629 per year.
The cost of Professional Liability insurance is heavily affected by the kind of profession it covers. The more expensive the premium, the more dangerous the job.
The following factors are also important when determining how much Professional Liability insurance costs:
- The size and turnover of your business. Larger contracts typically mean higher risk.
- You’ll have to pay more for higher insurance.
- The individuals being covered – Are they competent for the job they’re assigned to do and do they have a previous history of claims?
- Your personal claims history. If you have made similar claims in the previous, the cost of your insurance policy could be greater.
Is Professional Liability the same as E&O coverage?
Professional Liability and Errors and Omissions (E&O) insurance offer the same protection. It can protect you from claims arising from negligence, fraud, and mistakes. The insurance policy covers the cost of defending against the case and also any settlements or damages.
Where can a business in South Dakota find Professional Liability coverage?
BizInsure makes it easy to compare Professional Liability policies and find the suitable for your business. Get comprehensive protection at a low cost.
Learn more about Professional Liability insurance in the states where you work.
© Copyright 2023 BizInsure LLC, 2015 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED BizInsure LLC; CA DBA: Simple, Smart, BizInsure Insurance Agency LLC; NY DBA: BizInsure Services LLC; NH DBA: Simple, Smart, BizInsure Insurance Agency; PA DBA: BizInsure Services LLC. 2950 Buskirk Ave Suite 300, Walnut Creek CA 94597. License #0H81929