Insurance for Home Health Care Business
in South Dakota
- Compare quotes in minutes.
- Buy online and get coverage confirmation instantly
- Only A-rated insurance companies are offered
South Dakota Home Health Aides and Agencies Insurance
Home health aides offer the highest quality of care to their patients. You understand the importance of people being able to live at home, whether you are working alone or with a team. The support you give to others is so important, but who is supporting you?
BizInsure makes it easy for South Dakota Home Health Aides to get insurance that protects their small-scale businesses. There are insurance options for home health aide agencies across the Mount Rushmore state. So no matter where you work, you can be covered from Sioux Falls to Rapid City.
Why become a home health aide in South Dakota?
In South Dakota, home health aides are in high demand. It could be a fantastic way for you to begin a profession in the field of healthcare and make a positive influence on patients throughout the state.
According to the 2021 data of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, South Dakota has approximately 3,260 home care aides and personal caregivers. In the next few years, this number will likely increase. The number of home health aides in the country is expected to increase by 25% between 2021 and 2031.
The average salary for home health aides and personal caregivers in South Dakota is $28,900, with an hourly average wage of $13.90. Home health aides in South Dakota may make more in larger cities than in rural areas or smaller metropolitan areas. The average salaries for home care and personal care aides is $29,930 in Rapid City and $29,870 in Sioux City, respectively.
Why do home health providers consider insurance?
Home health aides provide assistance to those who are elderly, chronically sick, and living with disabilities. Your services are essential to helping patients live comfortably and safely at home. But this close care could also result in costly lawsuits and liability claims.
Accidents do happen. If they do, you may be required to cover medical expenses of a patient or provide compensation to loved ones. The cost of lawsuits and claims is high. This could rapidly take your money and even end your career. Home care insurance in South Dakota helps home health care professionals, agencies, and other care providers protect their finances.
Did you know?
General Liability insurance covers actual and unsubstantiated claims made by third parties.
Home Healthcare Business Insurance in South Dakota
Home health aides and other healthcare professionals often examine different types of business insurance to protect themselves as they work.
General Liability Insurance
General Liability insurance protects your business against bodily injury or property damage lawsuits from outside parties. The policy will pay for legal expenses as well as the costs of resolving the issue, up to the limits of your policy.
These protections apply to claims that do have merit and ones that don’t. General Liability insurance can be referred to as Commercial General Liability (CGL) or “slip and fall” insurance.
What is typically covered?
General Liability insurance typically covers lawsuits and claims arising from:
- Bodily injuries to a third party
- Damaging a third party’s property
General Liability policies covers third-party claims that are with or without merit. Baseless claims are often difficult to settle. A General Liability policy provides home health aides and agencies more security while caring for patients. These policies also safeguard the financial assets of their clients.
What is typically not covered?
These events are usually not covered under your General Liability policy:
- Compensation claims for workers, as well as personal workplace injury
- Damage to your own property
- Damage caused intentionally to someone’s property
- Errors and mistakes in your work
There could be additional events that are not covered under your General Liability insurance that are not included in this list. Your insurance provider will provide you with complete information about the coverage available.
Professional Liability Insurance
Professional Liability insurance can protect professional service providers from potentially devastating financial damages resulting from alleged negligence or error in the delivery of your services.
The policy will cover legitimate and meritless claims. Professional Liability insurance can be sold under the name of Errors and Omissions (E&O) insurance.
What is typically covered?
Professional Liability insurance protects against legal costs (including judgments and settlements) that could result from:
- Errors in the professional advice or recommendations you provide.
- Allegations of negligence
- Missed deadlines or services not provided
- Contract breach
These kinds of claims are usually filed by customers who allege that your actions have caused them an economic loss. Professional Liability policies cover your business even if the claim is not substantiated.
What is not typically covered?
The following events are usually excluded from Professional Liability insurance:
- Bodily injury to third parties
- Damage to a third party’s property
- Personal workplace injuries
Check your policy documents for more details on what your Professional Liability insurance covers.
Miscellaneous Medical Liability package for home health care professionals
Home health aides and home care agencies often need more than one type of insurance to cover different risks to their business. BizInsure offers a Miscellaneous Medical Liability package which combines the most common insurances home health care businesses often consider.
This policy package includes Professional Liability and General Liability insurance. It also includes Cyber Liability insurance, which protects you from malicious software attacks, data breaches, and other events that could damage your business.
Who needs home health care insurance?
South Dakota is home to many healthcare professionals that might require home care insurance.
- Home Care Aides – Subcontractors, sole proprietors, and independent contractors may require insurance to safeguard their clients and themselves.
- Home Health Services – Protect your small company as well as your staff by purchasing insurance for home health agencies.
- Other Healthcare Professionals – Physical therapists and carers are just some of the healthcare professionals that may also benefit from having business insurance.
Home health aides and agencies located in South Dakota can get General Liability and other insurance policies through BizInsure. Start a quote to compare policies in minutes!
How much does South Dakota’s home healthcare insurance cost?
There are many factors that can affect the cost of South Dakota home health insurance. This is due to the fact that every home health aide is different. The cost of insurance will depend on your business’s unique structure.
The factors used to calculate the cost of business insurance are:
- Your qualifications and educational background – Are you properly trained for your job? Do you have the right license to work as an South Dakota health care provider?
- The town, county or city you work in – Healthcare providers based within cities such as Rapid City or Sioux City will likely be more expensive than those in less populous areas.
- History of past claims – This may lead to higher insurance rates for the future.
- The level of coverage you require – A higher level of coverage typically means higher premiums. Clients might need to have a minimum amount of coverage to operate in South Dakota.
Comparing quotes from multiple insurers can help you to locate home health care insurance policies that suit both your business and your budget.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the risks for South Dakota's home care providers?
South Dakota home health care providers are highly qualified and offer excellent patient treatment. However, it is risky to work so closely with people at their home. Insurance can help manage your most common risks.
- You accidentally smash and break a costly vase while in a patient’s home. Liability insurance could be helpful in handling incidents like this.
- The ability to offer insurance for Professional Liability is an essential aspect for patients and their families. You could be the subject of a lawsuit if your care is not up-to-standard or you commit an error.
- Home healthcare agencies might store sensitive patient data. Cyber Liability insurance can help you to repair damage caused by a breach of data.
BizInsure can help agencies and home health aides find business insurance that addresses the unique risks you face every day.
What are the home health care aide license requirements in South Dakota? How do I get a home health care license in South Dakota?
There aren’t any licensure standards in South Dakota for home health aides. You must still meet other requirements in order to work in South Dakota.
If you work for a home healthcare agency located in South Dakota which is Medicare/Medicaid accredited You will be required to:
- Pass competency assessment
- Complete 75 hours
- Complete 16 supporting hours of training in clinical practice
The agency will likely provide ongoing training while you are employed by the agency.
To become a Medicaid-certified independent healthcare aid, you must:
- Register at the South Dakota Department of Jobs and Family Services
- Conduct a background investigation for a state-level
- Conduct a background check with the FBI (if you’ve lived in the state for less than five years).
When you’ve completed the work required to become an aide at home, you’ll likely want to protect your career and the company you’re creating. Ohio home healthcare insurance protects you from the most typical risks you could encounter when working. It can provide you with greater security and peace of mind, as well as safeguard your financial assets from costly lawsuits.
Learn more about home health care insurance in the states where you work.
© Copyright 2023 BizInsure LLC, 2015 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED BizInsure LLC; CA DBA: Simple, Smart, BizInsure Insurance Agency LLC; NY DBA: BizInsure Services LLC; NH DBA: Simple, Smart, BizInsure Insurance Agency; PA DBA: BizInsure Services LLC. 2950 Buskirk Ave Suite 300, Walnut Creek CA 94597. License #0H81929